An abdominoplasty (or tummy tuck) is a popular plastic surgery, which focuses on removing excess fat and skin from the abdomen and tightening underlying abdominal muscles. This invasive procedure is great for women who have had children or anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight and has excess tissue in their abdominal region.
Our plastic surgeon, Dr. Harrell, will go over the details of your tummy tuck during your consultation, but here are a few things you can do to prepare for your surgery and the tummy tuck recovery process:
- Reach your goal weight or be within 10-15 pounds of your ideal weight.
- If you’re a smoker, stop smoking at least six weeks before your tummy tuck.
- Give Dr. Harrell a list of all medications, vitamins and supplements you are taking. You may need to discontinue some of them prior to your procedure.
- Take at least two weeks off from work to recover from surgery.
- Have one or more friends or family members available to pick you up after your surgery and help you with childcare, household chores and so on for the first week.
- Consider preparing your recovery meals ahead of time, and stock the shelves with lots of fluids and food. Make sure you eat plenty of protein, fruits and vegetables to help your body recover.
- Fill your prescriptions ahead of time so they are readily available when you need them.
- Create a cozy area in your home for you to rest in for the first two weeks after your tummy tuck.
Remember that your only job following an abdominoplasty is to rest and heal. Listen to your body. Eat when you’re hungry, and sleep when you’re tired.
To learn more about tummy tucks or to schedule a consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeon, please contact The Weston Center for Aesthetic Medicine and Surgery in Florida today at (954) 526-0066. Dr. Harrell serves patients in Ft. Lauderdale, Weston, Miami, Plantation and Davie, Florida.