Preparing for breast augmentation can be an exciting—but scary—experience. You likely have many questions circling your head and are wondering how you can best prepare yourself, your loved ones and your home for the recovery process. There are several ways to prepare for your breast surgery and the healing time required, but these three tips will help you get on the right track:
1. Follow Pre-Operative Instructions
Our plastic surgeon will go over all of the details involved in your breast augmentation during your consultation and advise you on what to do and what not to do. These will likely include:
- Don’t take any over-the-counter blood thinning medications at least ten days before your surgery.
- Avoid eating and drinking for 8 hours prior to your procedure.
- Don’t wear contact lenses, make up, jewelry or hair accessories on the day of your breast augmentation.
- Do wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes, preferably with buttons or a zipper in the front.
- Fill your prescriptions ahead of time so they are available immediately when you get home.
2. Have a Loved One Available to Care for You
Breast augmentation is an invasive plastic surgery procedure, which will require you to be put under general anesthesia and leave you feeling groggy afterward. You won’t be able to drive yourself home or even bathe for the first couple days. Have a friend or family member available to help you get home from our Miami office and make sure your recovery starts off well. You can also prepare some of your favorite meals and freeze them so you don’t have to worry about cooking during your recovery.
3. Avoid Heavy Lifting & Exercise for 4-6 Weeks
This time period depends on how well your breasts are healing. Dr. Harrell will be able to tell you when it’s safe to resume your normal activities and exercise regimen. If you have small children, you may not be able to lift them for up to two to three months. It’s best to avoid lifting more than 5-10 pounds, and you may not realize how light 5 pounds actually is. When in doubt, ask a loved one to grab the item for you.
If you’re interested in breast augmentation, please contact our board-certified plastic surgeon in Miami today at (954) 526-0066 to schedule your consultation. The Weston Center for Aesthetic Medicine and Surgery serves clients throughout Florida including Miami, Weston, Fort Lauderdale, Plantation and Davie.