If you’ve dieted and exercised your way to within a few pounds of your ideal weight and still suffer from a sagging abdomen, it might be time to think about abdominoplasty, better known as a tummy tuck. This highly effective cosmetic procedure can help you achieve the look you want if other methods have fallen short.
Please contact Miami plastic surgeon Dr. Jon Harrell at the Weston Center for Aesthetic Medicine and Surgery today at (954) 400-5559 to arrange a tummy tuck consultation.
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck is a specialized cosmetic procedure that specifically targets the tissue of the abdomen. Many patients who select abdominoplasty suffer from drooping abdomens with too much loose skin. A tummy tuck corrects this problem.
- First the doctor creates an incision in the abdomen.
- Next, the surgeon removes the excess fat, tissue, and skin that is responsible for the loose appearance.
- The surgeon then tightens the abdominal muscles to flatten the abdomen.
- Finally, the doctor tightens the skin over the stomach and sutures it shut.
How Do I Prepare for My Tucmmy Tuck?
Preparation for a tummy tuck means putting your body in the best condition possible for surgery. Here are the steps we recommend for our patients.
- Make sure you have reached your ideal weight, or are very close to it, with a combination of diet and exercise. Also make sure this is a lifestyle you can realistically maintain after surgery! Consider whether you’d like liposuction to be part of your procedure.
- Stop smoking if you are a smoker. Smoking interferes with your body’s ability to heal after a surgery.
- Inform us of any medications you are taking. We may need you to temporarily stop taking some of them a week or so before your surgery.
- Make plans with your employer to take up to two weeks off from work for your recovery. Those with office jobs usually only need to take a week off, while those with physically demanding jobs may need as long as three.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home after your procedure.
- Stock your home with everything you’ll need during your recovery period, and set up comfortable spots where you can relax to read or watch television.
What About After My Sugery?
We’ll send you home with specific postoperative instructions that are essential for your recovery. You’ll have a series of follow-up visits to assess your progress and to make sure you’re comfortable. You’ll be given a support garment, which will help keep the tissue in place as it heals. This garment also helps prevent blood clots in the treated area.
For the first week after surgery, you should plan to engage in only the lightest of physical activity. You won’t be bedridden, but you’ll need to take it easy. We will evaluate your specific needs at your initial consultation and offer more specific guidelines according to your unique surgical requirements.
If you’re ready to learn how a tummy tuck can help you regain your self confidence, it’s time to learn more. Please contact the Weston Center for Aesthetic Medicine and Surgery online or call today at (954) 400-5559 to schedule your appointment with our Miami plastic surgeon.